Tuesday 22 December 2015

Christmas Village

Hi! 

This weekend I set out to have as festive a time as possible in the run up to Christmas. And with the help of my friends Gail and Jack, I think I've succeeded! 

Our most anticipated part of the weekend was undoubtedly the Aberdeen Christmas Village. To me, the lead up to Christmas would be nothing without festive markets with beautiful European stalls selling handmade crafts and delicious smelling food. And the fair rides with a sparkling array of lights giving that exciting buzz in the atmosphere. The Christmas Village certainly had those things... But I can't deny being a little disappointed. 


My first impressions didn't blow me away. Perhaps it was because my expectations were set so high with Edinburgh being my all-time favourite city at Christmas time. It definitely had everything a Christmas market should have, just not enough of it. I felt there was a little too much empty space with only one side of the street lined with stalls as I felt the shopping experience of the market was over in the blink of an eye. But I still enjoyed the time I spend there, even if it wasn't very long. 



The Market is beautifully arranged with lights and Christmas trees and pretty festive adornments. And the stalls are bright, warm and inviting. As if they are gingerbread houses themselves! And to the end of the market is an indoor seating area where visitors can enjoy their treats and drinks in the warmth, a small but charming ice rink and a high flying fair ride (which no one would to join me on). The whole place certainly has a winter wonderland-ish atmosphere and was the perfect way to get us all into the Christmas spirit! 


So, the Aberdeen Christmas Village doesn't hold a candle to Edinburgh's German Market. But I don't think that matters! My expectations were slightly different from what I was met with but it was a complete delight to visit and I hope it comes back next year! 

Have you been to the Aberdeen Christmas Village yet? What did you think of it? 

Thanks for reading!

-Racheal

No comments:

Post a Comment